Monday, October 22, 2007

LA and South Carolina

Haven't had internet connection for a while so now I do, I thought I'd better do another update!

Last week I was in LA, well Pasadena to be precise. Pasadena is a great city- cultural, good shopping, nice night life- I had a great week! I spent the week exploring the city, seeing downtown LA, visiting Venice Beach and going up into the mountains- bear country! So vast and wild- beautiful!

I managed to get a meeting with the Director of the Cultural Affairs Department whilst I was there. Pasadena has a very interesting cultural plan that they have been working to over the past 3 years. It's called the Cultural Nexus Plan and its got some good objectives and points that are very interesting to research. Going to take me a while to read through it all though!


I also had a good couple of nights spent out in Hollywood. I saw the walk of fame, the hand prints outside the Chinese theatre and went for a drink at the Viper Room. All really fun to see considering how famous it all is! And of course I got to see the Hollywood sign! With things like that it is almost unbelieveable to think that you're actually seeing it! No famous people though only places. I expected to see an A list star on every corner but alas not!


So from here I went over to South Carolina- first to Columbia where I met with the CEO of the Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Director of the Cultural Council. I had a very interesting meeting with them, discussing their cultural and tourism plans. I also had fun at the State Fair! Sooooooo much food!



Then from here I headed down to Myrtle Beach which is where I am now! So nice down here. It's hot and sunny with a beautiful beach. So I'm going to enjoy my last week of sunshine before I head off to Philadelphia and wintertime!



On Sunday I went to the Seacoast Vineyard Church here which was great- so good to be back at Church again, and then went out for lunch and to the putt putt course! Thats crazy golf to you and me. I started off well at first but I'm afraid to say it went downhill from then on!



I'm now spending a couple of days resting and enjoying the sunshine before I head off on Thursday. I'm actually looking forward to winter weather! I'm english, I need some cold :)
So for now it's sun and surf, but winter is on the way- I'm looking forward to coming home now! 3 weeks to go! Then it's the run up to Christmas, sorry for those that find that scary, but thats a nice thought for me :)
I'll update you all again when I have explored Philly again...

1 comment:

Wallace said...

Hi Faith

It's Matt here - one of last year's scholars!

I'm pleased you're getting on so well out there! It sounds like you're having a great time and I can't believe it's nearly a year now since I headed off on my travels.

Anyway - I gather you're in Myrtle beach at the moment and thought you might like to try your luck at meeting up with somebody that I met whilst I was in New Orleans who lives and works in Myrtle Beach. The only reason I mention it is because he owns a watersports company there, based right on the beach, and you never know - he might just give you a parasailing ride if you're feeling cheeky enough to ask :-).....and if the season's still open of course (?)

So - his name is Richard Phillips, and his company website is http://www.myrtlebeachwatersports.com/ - see if you can find them down there if you fancy an extra adventure, and explain that Matt Wallace, the British guy that Richard and his friends met in New Orleans at RHINO (the St Charles Avenue volunteer centre) told you to go and see him.

Good luck if you're feeling up to it, and let me know how you get on if you decide to try to find him. No worries of course if you don't.

Enjoy the rest of your travels, and I'll see you when you get back.

Matt