Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Philadelphia- the home of American independence!



I can't believe that I have nearly done my week in Philly already! Seems like just yesterday that I as updating on South Carolina!



So I have been in Philly for a while now, exploring and sniffing around to see what cultural events and tourism they have on offer. Amongst other things, I have experienced the Lights and Liberty audio-visual light show, taken the bus tour, gone up the 'Rocky steps' from the first Rocky movie, seen the Eastern Penitentiary- scary building!- and walked along the Penn Landing harbour. It has been glorious weather if a little chilly and autumnal, although through looking at the weather gadgets on my computer I can see that it has been very similar weather in Nottingham!


I have learned a lot about American history from being in this city- this is the home of American indepenence through the creation of the constitution and congress etc etc so it has been interesting to see how this country was shaped and formed from a host of colonial towns to a country. It is interesting to see how much of this forms the tourism industry here though. The main sites to explore are based on this theme- the historical buildings and museums to the memory of. Thats not saying that these are the only things to see, just that it seems to be the main reason that tourists are assumed to come here.



I found it all very interesting and educational, but I actaully have preferred visiting the local neighbourhood areas and seeing the smaller, more intimate side of Philly. I was pleased to see that the tour bus takes you through these areas as part of the heritage of the city, however I think that much of this might be based around the fact that it also covers sites from films such as the Sixth Sense!! Still fun though :)



So off to Boston on Thursday! My last research city! Can't believe I am at this point already- after taking so long to prepare for this trip, it is now nearly over. But I'm ready to come home. Thats one of the good elements of travelling; you get to appreciate your home.

No comments: