Sunday, September 9, 2007

New York calling!



Well I made it here- a big relief to get the first bit of the journey right- bodes well for the future I think :)


I'm staying with 2 lovely people called Danella and Sal- they have really done well in putting me up and looking after me. Have educated me on the subway system and local etiquette, as well as taking me out for Korean food and a late night gig! Great gig but unfortunately my body was telling me it was 7am and trying to shut me down with sleep. Still, all good.



I spent my first full day in NY getting myself a new mobile as mine doesn't work out here, and visiting the MoMa (Museum of Modern Art). They have free admission to everyone on Friday afternoons which is great! Such a good idea as it means that alot more people visit than might have otherwise, and with a greater variety. The place was packed. The artwork was fantastic- all my favourite works and artists including Warhol, Monet, Lichtenstein, Pollock and even Martin Creed (Ali/Dei- I took pictures just for you :). Also got to see Yves Klein's blue painting which I love- had a grin on my face basically all the way round!


I have also toured around a bit getting my bearings, so have got to see Times Square, the Rockafella Centre and 5th avenue. Haven't done the Empire State, Chrysler building, Statue of Liberty or the Met yet, but HAVE done Central Park, Grand Central Station and the Lincoln Centre! Will cover the rest over the next few days and the final week of my journey when I head back here again.



In terms of events etc, I have been fortunate enough to be in New York whilst NY Fashion week is on so it's been interesting seeing how this event fits into the scheme of things and how the New Yorkers interact with it. I have also been to one of the biggest arts and crafts markets in NY- the 22nd Annual Autumn Crafts Festival run by the American Concern for Arts and Craftsmnship Org. Have chatted to a few people about how these events are run and how they are supported, so am now busy typing up notes and formulating ideas for futher research. Have been introduced to the new Geotourism idea that is being developed at the moment so am also researching that and will be looking to see whether cities are currently developing this kind of strategy or not.



Will be moving out of Manhatten tomorrow, and going to stay with some other friends in Brooklyn for my last couple of days here, so that will be nice too- get a different view. New York is an amazing city if not a little daunting when you are on your own! Still, so amazing to just be here experiencing it all.

My next city will be Seatlle so I'll write again when I have more to fill you in on!








3 comments:

jonny_norridge said...

sounds amazing! keep posting!

Aim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aim said...

Hi lovely, so glad to hear it's all going well. I'm getting more jealous with every pic, so don't forget the postcard. The MoMA sounds great were they all originals? Ans please find Central perk before you leave! (or at least find out if it really exists!)
Everything is good with the house and I'm starting to feel like I live here now, fishes and plants al doing well, fishes say gulp, which I'm going to interpret as please say hi to faith! Keep loving it, hope you've managed to get some sleep!! Keep writing

love aim xx