Sunday, September 16, 2007

Very well rested in Seattle...




Seattle, I would like you all to know, is a great city. I arrived on my flight 2 hours late due to a problem with one of the wings onthe plane (?!) but the minute I got here I felt relaxed and happy. It's alot slower moving than New York, and alot easier to navigate your way around!



I am staying with the most lovely family- Rachelle, Paul and their two wonderful little girls Eden (who swears I'm Maid Marion but that I'm keeping it quiet) and Kate. They are looking after me so well and really helping me to see what the normal american way of life is all about. They have also introduced me to lots of people and art events that are going on in the local community- we are in Fremont which is a very arty and creative area. They have a troll living under one of the bridges, a statue of Lenin that they dress up for Christmas each year, and are preparing at the moment for a big lantern festival in a couple of weekends time. I helped out and made a lantern of my own :)



I have visited the Seattle Centre via the monorail, which has the International Fountain and the Space Needle which just looks fantastic on the skyline of the city. Seattle has less skyscrapers than NY so the buildings that are tall really stick out! Unfortunatley I haven't been able to see Mt Rainier yet as it has been just too cloudy, but other than that, I am loving my time here.



Seattle has a fantastic life to it, and I especially like the Pike Place Market which has a life of it's own! I will do more exploring of that kind tomorrow which I'm sure will be alot of fun! The family also took me to an event at an old Motel that is due to be torn down. For now, it have been turned into a place for art with each wall and room being covered with art work or installations- it was amazing to see! Oh and I got to try my first twinkie bar that night too :)



I have also met with Tracey Wickersham of the Seattle Convention and Visitors Bureau- we had a great meeting chatting through their various strategies and ways in which they work and market Seattle. I have been quite inspired by the different events and am researching more and more into this Geotourism idea which appears to be such a fantastic way to bring a city or area to life for it's visitors and local alike.



I am to meet with two people from the Mayors Office of Cultural Affairs on Tues so that will also help give me more insight into the ways in which this city promotes itelf.



I plan on my last day here to take a tour of the island of Bainbridge and walk along the waterfront of Seattle. I would love to go to the boat houses made famous in Sleepless in Seattle but I'm just not sure I'll get the time. Maybe another trip is on the horizon...

2 comments:

jonny_norridge said...

sounds great. looking forawrd to hearing everything you've been learning.
keep having fun!
Jonny&Meg

The Couple said...

What's that you're eating? Have you discovered the ubiquitous TWINKIE? Beware of it's addictive effects...xoxCarmen